These are the days of AI, bots, algorithms, and search ranking, even in recruiting! Don't know what these terms are? It's okay; you don't have to. All you need to know is that when recruiters search for candidates, they type specific keywords relevant to the industry and skills required, and if YOU know how to find these keywords, you are one step closer to an interview.
Here's how you optimize your resume to match a recruiter's search, giving you a much stronger chance of being seen!
Make sure your resume's phrasing and terms match the job description's keywords, all the way down to spelling and punctuation. Below we show you an example job description for Retail Sales Associates. The keywords are in bold, yellow print. Take a look at the chart which shows you the right and wrong way to use these keywords.
In the job description, identify the main keywords, based on these categories:
- Industry-Specific Skills
- Ex: POS, Retail Sales
- Hard Skills
- Ex: Inventory, Cash-Handling
- Soft Skills
- Ex: Customer Service, Outgoing
Once you’ve completed your resume, plug it into a spelling and grammar site like Grammarly.com before applying to your desired job! Good luck! If this tip helps you or you have topic suggestions, please comment on our socials (links below)!
Not A Match
Our busy electronics store is looking for a Retail Sales Associate who is outgoing, enjoys working with the public, and is interested in building their sales career. The Retail Sales Associate will assist customers by providing product recommendations, answering questions, alerting customers to product options and expanding sales revenues by up-selling support programs and product accessories. The ideal candidate for this position has experience working in retail and a strong dedication to providing exceptional customer service.
- Assist in maintaining inventory in the back and setting up merchandise displays on the sales floor
- Develop solutions for customers by listening to their needs and recommending the appropriate products
- Greet customers as they enter the store and help them find the proper team member to assist them
- Utilize the company’s POS system
- Collaborate with other team members to keep the sales floor area clean and organized at all times
For more tips and tricks, follow us on our socials, linked at the bottom of the page!
Kimberly Gray - Digital Strategy Manager